Here are the Roman neighborhoods most prized by tourists who like to walk to and from the sites and roam the wonders of this amazing city. The naming of the areas can confound because some use the ancient designations, such as “Campo Marzio”, widely referred to as the Spanish Steps area, while others use medieval names, and others, like us, will go with conventional names that are more descriptive of what sites you’ll find there.
Rome is a big city, but the historic center is very manageable. You can visit most of it on foot or just a short bus or metro ride between sites. Tourists who like to wander out their front door into the most intriguing places in the city have a wealth of wonderful areas to choose in the historic center. We select all the apartments we represent for their prime locations in Rome’s historic center. Here are our favorite locations.
Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo & Trident
This famous neighborhood is crossed by a trident of streets that leads south from Piazza del Popolo. This most upscale neighborhood in the center has great shopping and dining.
- The Spanish Steps with its iconic stairs, fountain and designer shopping draws all visitors.
- Piazza del Popolo has welcomed tourists since mideaval time with an expansive piazza, Egyptian obelisk and ancient gate in the Roman wall.
- Via del Babuino for charm.
Italy Perfect Vacation rental selection is wonderful: Large properties are Villa Aurora, Spagna, Zegno, Valentina, Casa Ruffo and Elegante. Two bedroom apartments: Greci, Corelli Charm, Renata, Minerva’s Treasure and Ginevra. One bedrooms: Bellina and Princess Paolina.
Piazza Navona, Campo de’ Fiori, Pantheon
Wander the maze of narrow streets and alleys dating from the Middle Ages that open into beautiful piazzas with delightful fountains and wonderful Renaissance and baroque churches and palaces. All the while ancient Rome is always present.
- Piazza Navona is glorious with fountains, statues, cafes, restaurants and street artists of all kinds.
- The Pantheon, built 1900 years ago, is a magnet for the ancient temple as well as its lovely piazza.
- Campo de’ Fiori is another glorious piazza with a farmers market as well restaurants.
- Another great piazza is Piazza Mattei leading to the historic Jewish Ghetto.
- Not to miss, of course, is the Trevi Fountain for beauty and the magic 3 coins tossed into the fountain to ensure you’ll return to Rome someday.
Italy Perfect apartments here from large to small: Landini, Pasquino and Romulus.
Ancient Rome and Monti
Modern monuments and ancient ones define this Eternal City. Wander through time.
- Piazza Venezia with the gleaming Victor Emmanuel Monument is just the beginning and a great point for navigation.
- The Roman, Imperial and Trajan’s forums echo with glory.
- And above rises the Palatine hill with ancient palatial ruins.
- The Coliseum is a must.
- The Monti neighborhood leads to the Coliseum and is artsy and quirky.
Gorgeous views from Imperial Vista.
Via Veneto, Villa Borghese & Piazza Barberini
Via Veneto winds gracefully down from Villa Borghese with the cafes and restaurants that defined La Dolce Vita by Federico Fellini
- Within the beautiful Borghese Gardens is a gem of a museum the Borghese Gallery.
- The Via Veneto itself offers a pleasant walk with good shopping and cafes.
- Piazza Barberini is another great piazza with the iconic Triton Fountain.
Vatican, St Peters, Prati
Just across the fabled Tiber river the proximity to the Vatican and St Peters is enhanced by the great shopping and dining in the Prati neighborhood. Boulevards with nice architecture.
- St Peters and the Vatican museums are magnets for so many.
- Castel Sant’Angelo is an ancient fortification for the Popes.
Vacation rental prices can be a little lower here because you have to walk across the river: Elegante.
Everyone loves Trastevere. It is a neighborhood with fun restaurants, charming streets and roaming students from abroad. Known for night life.
- Santa Maria in Trastevere is a beautiful and ancient church in a piazza that is a gathering spot for locals, tourists, students, street performers.
- Restaurants with live entertainment charm tourists.
- Walk up to the top of the Janiculum hill for gorgeous views over the city